Friday 28 November, 2008

Anger management

Its been a while since I felt an emotion so strongly that I had to write down about it. 

Surprise attacks in Mumbai. Indiscriminate firing. Grenades. More than 100 civilians dead. More policemen than terrorists dead. And for what....no one seems to know!!!!!!!

My family is safe....but this is MY city. MY hangout spots. MY memories. I feel personally violated. 

I feel a pure, unadulterated, almost violent anger toward....I don't really know who! The security agencies? The politicians? The brainwashed, normal looking 20-something year old terrorists? None of the above? All of the above? 
And what do I do with this anger? I've just spent an entire day worrying and watching news reports and cursing....and now writing a blog. But can I really do something that will make a difference to anyone? 

I guess I am most angry with myself...for being and feeling so helpless......maybe I need to be more humble...or maybe I need direction....
I need an outlet for my desire to be useful in some way....and I need something truly sustained...not just as a knee-jerk reaction...not just a blog ramble....not just a blood donation....any thoughts anyone?

4 comments:

zzxxcc said...

you need a life outside the box! get outside it. try to see NGOs looking to spread out cris management skills and awareness. what is the harm if every-day-commuting ppl can slowly learn skills of a sharp policemen to catch any suspicious activities (like a dry run being done, mysterious train changes , hotel checkins, sim card changes not-lasting more than a week etc etc.) you do have everything in you thats needed to start/drive/support such initiatives - connections, intelligence, confidence, care, patriotism, good education base ...

think about it rather than mourning it.
z...
x..
c.

Atticus said...

hmmm tough one that. i guess how you and we all mere citizens can help is by lending support to the right people- joining ppl who are protesting actively on this, NGOs who are preparing ppl to deal with situations etc. We ourselves may not devote our full time to this, but there are good ppl who are doing so and we just need to identify them and lend our support.

Not sure if that helped!

Prachee said...

hmm....valuable inputs those....i guess i need to find the one thing (NGO or otherwise) that i'll go after.
at this point, i want to help with everything from crisis management to emergency healthcare to policy activism! but unless i pick one, i'll never be able to do justice to anything.....
the research begins....and inputs still welcome!
Cheers,
-P

A mind full of dreams said...

- Join an NGO
- Help disturbed children find direction in life so that they don't get brainwashed
- Join active politics and make better policies.

Easier said than done, but one day, we shall contribute. I echo your sentiments.