Friday 14 December, 2007

A view from the heavens

5:30 pm; Friday, December 14th 2007; Kamraj domestic terminal, Chennai.
If they are the observant type, the last few passengers on board IT 233 may notice a young woman in a business suit, fast asleep toward the back - looking comfortably curled up in her seat with her head resting against the window, and wrapped in an airline blanket.

Two and a half years in the consulting profession and a 2-flights-a week routine qualify me as a frequent traveller with privileged status on most airlines. By now, I have mastered the art of arriving just-in-time at the airport, and know which juice I like at each airline's lounge.
The excitement of flying is gone - I once used to stay up staring out of the window (I admit, the scenery is pretty monotouous!) and sample everything from the lime juice to the candies; I now try to catch as much sleep as possible. The only thing that makes the routine worthwhile is the destination every Friday- I know I will be home for the weekend!

True to the instructions I had given her, the air hostess does not try to wake me up for drinks, refreshments, candies or feedback. I sleep through most announcements on the PA system. I finally wake up, 2 hours later. As I sleepily gaze out of the window, I see city lights...........
City lights!!!! I am about to be home. Adrenaline rushes through my body as I think of seeing my family and hot, home cooked food...I am fully awake in minutes! And then, realization hits me - I am not going home this Friday, and the city below me is not Mumbai. I am actually hovering over Delhi, going there to prepare for an important presentation . My energy levels have dropped in seconds.....

As I sit there, gazing at the twinkling yellow lights below me, it strikes me how remarkably similar all cities look from 35,000 feet above. If you didn't know where you were going, you could believe that this was Detroit or Mumbai or Frankfurt!

And then, the philosopher in me takes over (it always does when I am a bit low!!!). I wonder, if that is how God wanted to see the world - where age, gender, geography and such worldly measures lose their relevance; and what you see is a beautiful canvas - no matter where you see it from.
Maybe that is why the heavens are up there - so that the view from God's balcony is that of a world he wanted to see....while the devil lives in the detail!

9 comments:

VK said...

Thats a very good observation Prachee. Details fusing to form a "whole" that loses its uniqueness. But then, aren't we at an advantage over Heaven here, as we can discern and appreciate the difference while it looks all the same from above.. :)

Viraj Datar said...

the last line was a gem! very nicely put!

Traveller said...

Interesting!!! would love to read more...

Priyank Sharma said...

sorry! don't agree to your philosophic side, miss!

i think a fractal exists everywhere - only your perception might differ.
[unintentional rhyme :) ]

Karthick Gopal said...

Great stuff indeed. Considering the post preceding this was in march !!

Great work and keep writing, your flair makes for good reading.

Rama said...

Very well noted! I think I can write a similar one for my local train journeys whn I used to travel for a good hr n a half to college. The common thing was tht even I used to manage a good sleep during the journey and I too mastered the art of getting up just whn the train arrives at Vadala station :-). Be happy, atleast u had a heavenly experience which I perhaps did not .. he he ;-)

AlterinG Abhishek said...

nice post!!
of course the devil is always in the detials!

just a few words.. said...

"A view from the heavens" is life made beautiful with beautiful words.


..such worldly measures lose their relevance; and what you see is a beautiful canvas - no matter where you see it from.

...a philosophical essence!

AlterinG Abhishek said...

stopped?